Friday, June 26, 2009

What was I thinking?????

I have been wandering around blogland a lot recently and finding all kinds of wonderful quilting and sewing blogs. It has put me in the mood to make another quilt. I decided I wanted to try one of the Disappearing 9-patch quilts......simple enough, make 9 patch blocks, cut them in quarters and rearrange them to sew back up into this beautiful quilt.

Ok, I thought, I have another top started (It has set in my closet for the last 6 years waiting on me to finish it. It ain't gonna happen.) with 12" nine-patch blocks alternating with white squares. (We're talking wrong idea here people, it's uglier than homemade sin.) The fabrics, sans the white blocks are mostly Hoffman fabrics I purchased several years ago when I visited my sister. There are some lovely fabrics, and too good to waste on the aforementioned ugly quilt. I, also, have some more blocks made out of those same fabrics that didn't get sewn together for the ugly quilt top. They have been patiently waiting for me to return to them. I have a total of 43 9-patch blocks, almost enough for a queen size quilt. Problem is I have to tear apart the ugly top in order to use the fabrics.

Let me just insert here that I hate ripping out seams. The tool called a seam ripper that many quilters consider their best friend forever and I do not get along too well. I would rather cut off my big toe than use a seam ripper. However, that isn't practical, now is it? So putting my prejudices aside, I grab the seam ripper and start tearing out seams on the ugly top. By golly, I am gonna do this if it kills me. Two stuck fingers later, (man, that sucker is sharp) and I have half of it done. I am tempted to just put the whole shebang back in the closet and start fresh with new fabric from my stash, but I really want to use these fabrics.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. I hope to finish ripping out seams by this evening. Then I can start cutting all those blocks into pieces to sew back up.

Have a great Friday everyone!

1 comment:

Stitchminx said...

Carol, please email your address to stitchminx@gmail.com so that I can send your fabric bundle!

Have a good weekend. Regards, Jane aka Stitchminx